Since 2013, there has been an enhanced focus on gender equality in Equinet’s work following the incorporation of the work of the former Network of Gender Equality Bodies (previously led and facilitated by the European Commission).
As laid out in the Gender Equal Treatment Directives, equality bodies are mandated to promote equality and combat discrimination in relation to gender.
8 March is International Women’s Day and is generally marked by a more prominent focus on gender equality issues. In order to make information more accessible, Equinet has gathered the latest publications and material issued on gender equality at European and national level.
Equinet’s publications on gender equality
Equinet’s Working Group on Gender Equality provides a platform for staff members of equality bodies that are working on gender issues to come together and exchange on their work. Based on the discussions, reflections and actions undertaken by its member, the working group has issued several publications with the aim of promoting gender equality and combating gender discrimination.
Equinet’s work on gender equality in 2016
In 2016 the Working Group on Gender Equality will:
- Discuss the best strategies to deal with equal pay complaints, and publish a handbook on how to build a case on equal pay
- Outline the experience of equality bodies in relation to gender equality and education, and contribute to the preparation and organization of the Seminar ‘Gender Equality and Education’
- Assist the Working Group Policy Formation in preparing a paper on intersectionality with a focus on gender
- Relay the experience of equality bodies and contribute to the preparation and organization of the Equinet conference on ‘Gender equality: an intersectional perspective’.
National Equality Bodies - Equinet’s Members
- Infographic by the Defender of Rights (France): here - in French
- Video on the Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (Great Britain): here
- CEDAW Shadow Report by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (Great Britain): here
- Event of the Institute for Equality of Women and Men (Belgium): here - in French
- Report of the Netherlands Institute for Human Rights to the CEDAW Committee: here - in Dutch
- Final conference of the project on sexual and moral harassment by the Commissioner for Citizenship and Gender Equality (Portugal): here - in Portuguese
- Polish Commissioner of Human Rights issued a statement in relation to the International Women’s Day 2016: here - in Polish
European Institutions and Bodies
This section provides links to material and statements on gender equality by European Institutions and bodies:
- European Commission’s 2015 report on ’Equality between Women and Men’: here
- European Commission’s proposal for EU accession to the Istanbul Convention: here
- Report on Gender mainstreaming in the work of the European Parliament: here
- Report on the situation of women refugees and asylum seekers in the EU
by the European Parliament’s Committee on Women‟s Rights and Gender Equality (FEMM Committee): here
- New database on gender statistics by the European Institute for Gender Equality (EIGE) : here
- Article and material by the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA): here
- Interview with the European Ombudsman, Emily O’Reilly: here
- Comment by the Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights, Nils Muižnieks: here
Civil Society Organisations
- Video on equal pension rights for women by the European Women’s Lobby (EWL): here
- Fact-sheet on violence against women by EWL: here
- Article and material by the European Disability Forum (EDF): here
- Statement from the Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants (PICUM): here
- Press release on Roma women’s rights by the European Roma Information Office (ERIO): here